Holy Name parish began at Old Parker on the east side of the Verdigris River about 2 1/2 miles southeast of Coffeyville. In 1869 Fr. Phillip Colleton, S.J. from the Osage Mission at St. Paul, Kansas, established a mission station in the home of George and Ellen Martin. Fr. Colleton built a little wooden mission church in Old Parker in 1870, funded almost entirely by donations from non-Catholics. In 1874 the building was moved into Coffeyville and placed at 606 Maple. Fr. Hermanns, the first resident pastor, erected a new wooden church at 606 Maple, dedicated in June, 1899. In 1901, Fr. Peter Tierney, a man of great faith and vision, became the new pastor. He purchased a block of pasture land on the edge of the city at what is now Fourth and Willow, the current home of our parish complex.
In 1912 the cornerstone was laid for the present church that was dedicated September 17, 1916. It was another 15 years before the all the furnishings, the bell, the stained glass windows and the organ were installed. The Sisters of St. Joseph came in the fall of 1917 and established a school in the old wooden church building. In 1923 that building was replaced with a new red brick school. There were four classrooms downstairs and upstairs was a much needed Parish Hall complete with kitchen and a stage! Continued growth would mark the next several decades for Holy Name. The rectory, the oldest building on site--1907, would undergo a heavy remodel in 1951. An addition to the school and new gym complex would be built in 1955. A new convent for the Sisters of St. Joseph would be built in 1967. Additional classrooms would be added to the school again in the early 2000's.
In all of this, God's guiding hand has been present. May He be forever praised.